Date:      Thu, 15 Oct 2015 16:06:51 -0453.75
From:      "William A. Mahaffey III" <wam@hiwaay.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions !!!! <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Follow-up install questions

On 10/15/15 11:23, Adam Vande More wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 15, 2015 at 8:47 AM, William A. Mahaffey III
> <wam@hiwaay.net <mailto:wam@hiwaay.net>> wrote:
>

>     I am not streaming 1080p streams on this box, that would be on the
>     smaller MythTV box. I will be using the larger box to compile
>     in-house analysis code (predominantly CFD, some FEA) & run
>     validation cases, some of which can/will produce prodigious
>     amounts of output, ASCII & binary. Larger data sets can take
>     plural min. to write on linux mdadm RAID0's, current 1st-hand
>     experience w/ the incumbent 1-box compile-farm-&-validation box,
>     Intel based. I/O performance *IS* an issue for me, sorry for the
>     bother. I configure *ALL* of my boxen to possibly serve as
>     validation & calculation boxen, maxed-out RAM & generous swap
>     space. Again, sorry for that bother. I am planning to follow the
>     wiki page
>     (https://wiki.freebsd.org/RootOnZFS/GPTZFSBoot/9.0-RELEASE)
>     closely, obviously w/ more HDD's, in my setup, with just the one
>     (1) question about 'unmirrored zpools'. That page implies that
>     *any* zpool configuration will work, I am just trying to verify
>     that & save myself as many bumps in the road & wasted time as
>     possible. TIA for any further help & experience or sage advice.
>     Have a good one.
>

> You're spending weeks of time reinventing wheels so chasing a wee bit
> of disk io speed doesn't compute.

2 different boxen, not reinventing wheels, same specs for both all
along, just trying to avoid the problems I am having w/ the small box on
the large box. I have wanted max pool of GiB's & max I/O performance on
both from the get-go, with as much reliability as I can reasonably get
along the way. I am *NOT* an expert on these matters, which is why I
come to the list for recommendations & experience.

>   Also using the 9 branch flies in the face of your stated desires.

How so (9.3 contradicts), if you don't mind ? I thought all versions
were fairly similar in ZFS implementation & performance, no ?

> A single SATA is going to do about 1GB in 10 seconds which is an order
> of magnitude more what a 1Gb NIC would allow to transfer.
>
>     & WTF about white space ?
>

> https://www.gonzaga.edu/academics/Colleges-and-schools/School-of-Business-administration/undergraduate/SBAWR/IDR.asp

Hmmmm .... OK, fair enough. Other have said that I write *WAY* too
'literarily', i.e. like prose, rather than technically .... I guess I
might need that 12-step after all :-/ ....

--

	William A. Mahaffey III

	 ever devised by man."
                            -- Gen. George S. Patton Jr.