Date:      Sat, 28 Aug 1999 02:38:54 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Interesting way to crash a 3.2-stable box...

A user who may well have been smoking crack at the time but has
nonetheless found an "interesting" bug sent me this procedure:

Use this small perl script to create a file with 3000 spaces in it:

#!/usr/bin/perl
open FOO, ">foo.img" or die "can't open foo; $!\n";
for ($i=0;$i<3000;$i++){print FOO " ";}
close FOO;

[I'm sure there are easier ways, but since he already provided a script]

Now vnconfig the foo.img file:

# vnconfig -c /dev/vn0 foo.img

Now attempt to disklabel it (again, I didn't say this made *sense* :)

# disklabel -B -w /dev/vn0 minimum

<KABOOM - watch your system panic>

That isn't right, is it? :-)

- Jordan