Date:      Wed, 22 May 2002 19:23:35 +0200
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@online.fr>
To:        cjc26@cornell.edu
Cc:        "Greg 'groggy' Lehey" <grog@FreeBSD.ORG>, Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sanskrit numbers (was: French, Flemish and English (was: cvs commit: src/sys/alpha/alpha clock.c))

cjc26@cornell.edu said on May 22, 2002 at 13:14:14:

> Well, yeah, they're related languages. :)  They're both descended from
> Proto-Indo-European.

They undoubtedly have some sort of link, but is this
"proto-Indo-European" some sort of guess or reconstruction, or is
there actual evidence for it somewhere?  How do people arrive at
"Hoi(H)nos" and "h3ekteh3" (how do you pronounce those "3"s?) in PIE?
Who are the people who spoke it -- the Aryans who are believed to have
originated from around the Caspian Sea?  If so, how do we know
anything about their language -- is there any kind of record they left
behind at all?

Yes, I suppose I could try look up the book you cited, but I'm lazy :)

- Rahul