Date:      Wed, 01 Dec 1999 09:13:51 -0700
From:      "Russell L. Carter" <rcarter@pinyon.org>
To:        Jason Evans <jasone@canonware.com>
Cc:        Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>, freebsd-arch@freebsd.org, rcarter@pinyon.org
Subject:   Re: Revisitted.. Threads goals.?

%On Mon, Nov 29, 1999 at 10:45:28PM -0800, Julian Elischer wrote:
%>
%> I think this is a good time for us to re-examine some of the things that
%> we decided were goals.
%>
%> I have somme comments I'd like to make AT THE END, but after the general
%> neuron frying of the last week or so it might be a good idea to look at
%> these again and see if any of them have changed in light of the
%> discussion. I have difficulty in seeing this list as exhaustive or
%> correct. We need someone who is very into threads to contribute.
%> Jason? What do yuo see as YOUR goals?
%

%One goal that I did not list last week, but one that is important (first
%brought up by Peter, I think), is to make the LinuxThreads work done by
%Richard natively useable (i.e. not under Linux emulation).  This is
%admittedly an interim solution, but it should be relatively easy to make
%work, and will be genuinely useful in a number of places.

It already works native now.  I'm going to submit a libgcc_r addition
to the port today.  I build and run every ACE+TAO beta against it, as
well as with libc_r threads.  There are a couple of bugs left,
but I've got to run the regression tests again today to get those
characterized accurately, and that takes a while.

At one point I had a pretty thorough performance test harness
constructed using ACE for comparing libc_r and linuxthreads, it
might be of use for the discussion of user vs. kernel context
switching.

Russell

%Jason
%
%
%
%
%To Unsubscribe: send mail to majordomo@FreeBSD.org
%with "unsubscribe freebsd-arch" in the body of the message
%