Date:      Fri, 5 Jun 2009 11:52:24 -0400
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
To:        Josef Moellers <josef.moellers@ts.fujitsu.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-acpi@freebsd.org" <freebsd-acpi@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Failure to get past a PCI bridge

On Friday 05 June 2009 10:51:44 am Josef Moellers wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Thanks for the help!
>
> John Baldwin wrote:
> > On Friday 05 June 2009 5:17:25 am Josef Moellers wrote:
> >
> >> Difficult, since I can't boot properly.
> >> However, I have managed to get the dsdt using a SuSE Linux and have run
> >> that through acpidump -d on a 7.2 running on a XEN virtual machine.
> >> Here's the result.
> >>

> > Hmm, your BIOS is certainly hosed.  First, it does have separate processor
> > objects:
> [...]
>
> I'll show this to our BIOS people. When I talked to them before, they
> claimed that everything were OK, since the OSes we support do come up
> properly.

I think your BIOS is actually ok, sorry my e-mail was a bit of a stream of
conciousness.

> > PCI bus 254, and pcib2 has PCI bus 0).  Try this:
> >
> [...]
> That will be difficult, because I'd have to rebuild the installation CD
> from scratch.
> But I guess fixing the problem is better that building a work-around for it.

Ah, if you have a working machine where you can build a kernel, you can build
an new CD using an existing ISO as a template.  Simply build a GENERIC kernel
and install it into some DESTDIR=/foo and mount the ISO image using mdconfig
to /dist.  Then do something like 'mkisofs -o new.iso -r -J -b
boot/cdboot -no-emul-boot -x /dist/boot/kernel /dist /foo'.  If that
complains about duplicate 'boot/kernel' then you may need to copy all
of /dist/boot to /foo/boot, install the new kernel into /foo, and
use '-x /dist/boot /dist /foo'.

Also, if this machine supports PXE boot at all, that can be a way to boot a
test kernel as well.

--
John Baldwin