Date:      Sun, 15 Dec 1996 13:04:37 -0800
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        ernie@spooky.eis.net.au
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org, dima@burka.rdy.com, peter@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SUP of current weird

In article <199612142219.IAA10425@spooky.eis.net.au> you write:
> I noticed over the last few days that there have been a few minor bugs that
> stop a make world in -current so I simply run sup again to get the latest
> fixed the next day. However every time I run sup it seems to want to
> retreive most of the contrib directory again which is wastefull.
>
> Has there been major patches every day of the last week to the contrib dir
> that forces sup to download it again? Or is there something odd going on?

There have been very few commits to contrib lately.  There is something
odd going on.

> It only seems to be the contrib dir the other just update changed files as
> normal.
>
> Any suggestions?

Your supfile line looks fine.  I looked around a bit on sup.freebsd.org.
The problem appears to be a bug in cvs-1.6.3, which is the version used
there.

Periodically (every day, I suppose) the source tree there is updated
with "cvs update -APd".  For some reason, this is causing the
modtimes of the contrib files to be updated, even though the files
haven't changed.  (2554 files under contrib on sup.freebsd.org have
been touched in the past 24 hours.)

I tried some experiments on two machines here, one running cvs-1.6.3,
and the other running cvs-1.8.1.  Both times, I did this:

    cvs checkout contrib_libpcap
    cd contrib_libpcap
    ls -lt
    cvs update -APd
    ls -lt

On the -1.6.3 machine, zillions of files got "updated", and their
modtimes were touched.  On the -1.8.1 machine, the "cvs update" did
nothing.

Peter:  Is this a known bug?

Dima:  Could you update your cvs to the version from -current?

Ernie: If you were using CVSup, this wouldn't be happening to you.
       (Sorry, I couldn't resist. :-)

John