Date:      Mon, 21 Jul 2003 12:30:03 -0700
From:      "Mike Maltese" <mike@pcmedx.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Bob Collins <bob@anything-inc.com>
Subject:   Re: Dump from cron job, need to change tape

I've also looked into this (I have a DDS2 autoloader), but unfortunately
dump doesn't support multiple volumes.  Because my /, /usr and /var
partitions will fit on one tape, I use dump for those.  For everything else
(i.e. large file shares) I just use tar with the -M flag when doing a manual
backup.  This will cause tar to prompt for a new tape when it has reached
the end of the current tape.  This is the best solution I could come up
with, although it make incrementals a bit tough (see the -g flag under man
tar).  If my system disk crashes, I can be reasonably confident that I'll
have a working system after restoring those parts from a dump, and tar seems
to work fine for regular files.