Date:      Mon, 6 Sep 1999 15:51:01 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Chris D. Faulhaber" <jedgar@fxp.org>
To:        "Chad R. Larson" <chad@DCFinc.com>
Cc:        advocacy@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Caldera? (fwd)

Moved to -advocacy...

On Mon, 6 Sep 1999, Chad R. Larson wrote:

> >     12 years of development

That depends on your point of view.  FreeBSD has been in existence since
1993 with the first release in 1994, which is like 5 or 6 years[1].
Your '12 years' is around 1987, 4.3/2.10BSD era[2].  However, one can
argue about FreeBSD's direct lineage with the original BSD, so perhaps the
split in 1976 from 6th Edition is more appropriate[2], giving about 23
years.  Of course, one can argue that in splitting from Version 6,
FreeBSD/BSD's lineage goes to 1st Edition in 1969, giving about 30 years.

I'm sure someone will bring up the argument of the Novell/Berkeley lawsuit
and how you cannot claim the lineage with the encumbered sources removed.
IMO I believe you can since it's development did start with Version
6...etc...etc...

[1] http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/history.html
[2] Design and Implementation of 4.4BSD, pp.5-6
-----
Chris D. Faulhaber <jedgar@fxp.org>  |  All the true gurus I've met never
System/Network Administrator,        |  claimed they were one, and always
Reality Check Information, Inc.      |  pointed to someone better.