Date:      Mon, 10 Aug 2009 23:53:10 +0200
From:      Christian Walther <cptsalek@gmail.com>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problem with IBM Thinkpad T30 shutting down due to high temperatures

Hello list,

for some time now my T30 shuts down due to temperatures exceeding the
safe limit of 92 degrees celcius.
Regardless to say that a 2GHz pentium4m powers the machine, and these
chips are "well known" for high temperatures.
But I'm unable to do anything that causes high load on the laptop:
Building world or complex ports makes the system reach the limit
within minutes. A few days ago I configured xcompmgr, which even seems
to make the problem whorse (yes, composite extension is enabled).
What I don't know is if this is a hardware error, or something caused
by the kernel. I wrote a small script to monitor  dev.acpi_ibm.0.fan
dev.acpi_ibm.0.fan_level, hw.acpi.thermal.tz0.temperature and
dev.cpu.0.freq, and it sometimes appears that the temperature of the
CPU rises, but the kernel doesn't decrease the clock in time. I tried
setting hw.acpi.thermal.polling_rate=2, but this didn't seem to work
out, too.
Today I wanted to rsync $HOME to my server, which caused several
shutdowns. I used a ssh connection, and my hard disk is encrypted
using geom.eli with AES-CBC 256.

I know that I put this machine under a rather high pressure (yes, I
have all my filesystems encrypted, including /usr/ports and /usr/sys),
but from my point of view the laptop should be able to deal with this.

The kernel I'm using is basically GENERIC, with acpi_ibm and radeondrm added.

What could I try next to prevent this from happening again? I guess
it's needless to say that rebuilding ports (for example after the jpeg
version bump) is next to impossible because it would require manual
intervention everytime the temperature reaches the limit...

I'm happy about any help I can get on this issue.

Regards
Christian