Date:      Fri, 17 Apr 1998 14:51:32 -0400 (EDT)
From:      woods@zeus.leitch.com (Greg A. Woods)
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: various PCI Ethernet cards v.s. SMC Ethernet switches....

[ On Thu, April 16, 1998 at 16:45:15 (-0700), Chad R. Larson wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: various PCI Ethernet cards v.s. SMC Ethernet switches....
>
> I've run across some commercial cables that were manufactured with
> better (tighter twist, proper gauge wire) pairs on the pins you would
> use in half-duplex.  The other two pairs were electrically connected,
> but not twisted and had thinner wire (maybe 26 gauge).

You do have to be careful when looking at multi-pair UTP cable.  Each
pair must have a different number of twists.

However on being reminded by your post I ripped open one of the patch
cables we were using and found that the R/G and Y/B pairs were the
indeed the tightest.

> I'd guess the manufacturer was trying to save money (and perhaps cable
> thickness) by scrimping on the part he figured you'd never use.

All our patch cables do appear to match their labels with 4-pair 24AWG
stranded wire.

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 443-1734      VE3TCP      <gwoods@acm.org>      <robohack!woods>