Date:      Tue, 30 Apr 1996 22:24:22 +0000
From:      robmel@innotts.co.uk
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   rpc.lockd ??

Dear FreeBSD people,

We've been using a couple of freeBSD machines now for a while for
mail, bootp, httpd, uucp, and routing. I want to migrate NFS services
off my remaining SCO boxes onto BSD because it seems so much more
reliable.

NFS sharing is primarily for Windows 3.11 workstations via pcnfs. (Yes
I know about samba, and we have evaluated it... but our users are very
happy with existing NFS services, and we're reluctant to go over to
WfWG -- it seems very insecure)

The freeBSD NFS suite seems to lack the necessary rlockd daemon. I've
been in correspondance with the author of a freeBSD port, but it is
only a dummy, it always grants locks without actually doing anything.

Is there, to your knowledge, a working port of this daemon for BSD? I
have looked at the code with a view to writing at least cooperative
locking, but I'm afraid my knowledge of rpc programming isn't that
good and I fear I would have to spend many an hour getting up to speed
on it.

I hope you can help me... discovering freeBSD has been an
enlightenment for this team... we've been slaving over hot SCO boxes
for far too long...

TIA

Best regards

Robin.

Robin Melville, Addiction Information Services
Nottingham Alcohol & Drug Team
Tel:  +44 (0)115 952 9478       Fax:  +44 (0)115 952 9421
work: robmel@nadt.org.uk        home: robmel@innotts.co.uk
WWW:  http://www.innotts.co.uk/suba       (UK substance misuse pages)