Date:      Sun, 19 Apr 1998 19:15:34 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Brett Taylor <brett@peloton.physics.montana.edu>
To:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   porting question regarding AfterStep-1.4.4

Hi all,

I have a port of AfterStep-1.4.4 JUST about ready to go, but I've run into
a problem.  The PLIST, due to the way AS does its configuration now, has
items in it that have "(" and ")" in their names.  This doesn't seem to
cause any trouble during a make install, make deinstall, or pkg_delete.
However, it appears to have caused pkg_add to fail.  The pkg_add process
starts just dandy and goes for awhile, then says "Syntax error -
unexpected '(' found"  and although I can continue to hear the disk grind,
the actual copying of files appears to stop and the package does not get
registered.  It's NOT just the files with "(" in them that don't get
installed either.  Do I need to escape the parentheses w/ a "\" or
something?  There are also items in the PLIST that have spaces in them -
does the same thing apply to them (although I've seen no errors concerning
them)?

A second question - it's my feeling that since this is actually not a
release, but a development release that it shouldn't replace 1.0.  There
are a few bits of 1.4.4 that are unstable (this may be due to my not
understanding the new configuration), but it's much more coherent and
stable than their 1.4 release.  I do not think it's quite as stable as
1.0.  Can we have an afterstep-devel port and still keep the 1.0 port
around or should I just diff the 1.4.4 against the 1.0 port?  They are
significantly different.

Brett