Date:      Sat, 21 Mar 1998 10:02:23 +0000
From:      Anton Angelo <anton@mojo.org>
To:        ABAMF ICI <ABAMFICI@aol.com>
Subject:   Re: while the linux/freebsd debates are up...

ABAMF ICI (ABAMFICI@aol.com) said:

> > unsubscribe freebsd-newbies
>
> was my post _that_ bad?

Hehehe, I don't think so....

On your original topic I think my experiences about which one is more
"stable" between slackware and freebsd is contrary to most others, which
I am not unpleased about.

When I installed Linux for the first time I was shit scared.  I had one
of the developers for it as my only source of help, and though he is a
kernal hacker extrodinaire, he was very poor at explaining stuff.  (he
was also emacsen, but thats another religious war for another day :)

It was complicated and unwieldy, but I had time and patience, and I
plugged away modifying Makefiles and generally spodding my time away.

Theseadays I can't be arsed to install software like that, or maintain
upgrades constantly, so FreeBSD with its ports and packages collections
is a complete boon.  I haven't got as far as automatically "keeping
current", but thats the next step.

Its a dream for someone like me who relies on his machines to keep in
contact with the rest of the world, wants to plough something back into
the net-community (I host a few mailing lists), and wants the nice toys
with no fuss.  Ever installed X on a linux box from scratch?  Done it
with FreeBSD?  I know which way left my brain unhurt.

I suppose what I'm saying is I am no developer, hardly an administrator,
I'm a reasonably clueful user and FreeBSD is perfect for me.

Cheers,

aa
--
Deal (n.)
The gummy substance found between damp toes.