Date:      Tue, 18 Sep 2001 09:58:11 -0400
From:      Robert Withrow <bwithrow@nortelnetworks.com>
To:        "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
Cc:        Jordan Hubbard <jkh@freebsd.org>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, glenngombert@zdnetonebox.com
Subject:   Re: Version of XFree86 in FreeBSD Release 4.4

doconnor@gsoft.com.au said:
:- It's a pitty you can't pick either :)
:- There are, of course, several issue, the most difficult is the fact
:- that packages are built against XFree 3.3.6 and pkg_add can't 'adjust'
:- that during install :(

Seconded.  We are in a straddling situation where some cards are
better supported by 4.0 and other by 3.x.

I've played with manually symlinking the stuff in /var/db, but I'd
hardly recommend that as a general solution.

I know it is slimy, but couldn't there be a dummy "port" just
called "XFree86" that is what most other ports depend on?  The minority
of ports that actually care what version of X is installed could always
use the version-specific names...

--
Robert Withrow -- (+1 978 288 8256, ESN 248)
BWithrow@NortelNetworks.com