Date:      Fri, 01 Mar 2002 11:37:03 +0000
From:      Bob Bishop <rb@gid.co.uk>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@icir.org>, "George V. Neville-Neil" <gnn@neville-neil.com>
Cc:        Doug Ambrisko <ambrisko@ambrisko.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Multicast problem with sis interface?

Hi,

At 01:10 01/03/02 -0800, Luigi Rizzo wrote:
>I do not agree with the explaination. Padding is padding, the actual
>value is irrelevant. Plus, in the tcpdump below, the are actually
>46 bytes of data, which together with the 14 of the MAC header and
>the 4bytes of CRC make a perfectly legal packet.

Correct, but the trailing 1's were supplied by the switch between the box
with the sis and the box running tcpdump.

George's patch looks plausible, I'll check it out tonight (GMT).

>I strongly suspect a bug elsewhere, e.g. the upper layer calling
>ether_output() with a short length.
>
>The thing is, other drivers might implement padding differently --
>e.g. the "vr" just artificially increases m_pkthdr.len and m_len
>to make sure that the packet has the right size, thus letting out
>any junk that is already in the mbuf.

I tried this, but missed m_pkthdr.len (whacks self round head).

>This "junk" might actually
>be useful data for the receiver, and this would mask the bug in
>passing the short length to  ether_output().
>
>What kind of protocol are we talking about ?

Appletalk NBP, for instance.

>Which are the other drivers that "work" ?

ed, vr, rl

--
Bob Bishop		    +44 (0)118 977 4017
rb@gid.co.uk		fax +44 (0)118 989 4254