Date:      Thu, 19 Dec 2002 17:54:36 +0100
From:      Roman Neuhauser <neuhauser@bellavista.cz>
To:        Mark Gladman <mark@fantoma.net>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Err.. to be honest, I'm not sure what to put here.

# mark@fantoma.net / 2002-12-20 01:48:08 +1100:
> 'Lo to whomever reads this!
>
> I've got a little question.. I've read through the FreeBSD handbook, and
> also purchased and read the book "FreeBSD Unleashed", and after
> finishing both documents (well.. all the relevent bits of the documents,
> since at this stage I'm just setting up a network gateway/firewall and a
> workstation). I found that I just flew through the documents in just a
> few days, and am thinking "Have I missed something major here?"
> And am pretty much wondering.. well.. have I missed anything? :)
> It seems like I can do pretty much anything (edit files in /etc/,
> install ports, recompile the kernel, configure the GUI and installed
> programmes, setup networking and smbfs (although I've still got to get
> around to setting up Samba itself))
>
> So.. err.. yeah.. any help or comments would be greatly appreciated :)

    heh, looks too easy to be true, or what? :)

    hmm, I haven't read a single dead tree book about *BSD, and always
    have read parts of the documentation I needed as the need arose, so
    I don't know if you should be scared or not. (they most probably
    *don't* want you scared away :)

    what I *do* know is that I spent most of the time at the beginning
    with perceivably tiny things:

    get backspace and delete keys behave the same in all apps I use,
    reclaim that motherfscking crazy vim,
    configure my shell to save two keystrokes in a command I enter about
    2000x a day,
    etc.

    admittedly, this part was the most fun, and the most frustrating
    time of my FreeBSD usage (it is my first unix).

    so... I think you'll find out it's not as easy as it looks from
    reading the books, but smaller the issue the bigger PITA (and
    perhaps quite often the less documented) it is...