Date:      Mon, 20 Nov 2000 10:09:32 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Helge Oldach <Helge.Oldach@atosorigin.com>
Cc:        grog@lemis.com, samz@oz.net, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Dedicated disks (was: Dangerously Dedicated)

In message <200011201640.RAA15704@galaxy.de.cp.philips.com> Helge Oldach writes:
: If I'm not mistaken that's a contradiction. PC BIOS architecture demands
: that the first cylinder is not to be used. But obviously DD mode will
: use it. So what do you put in a non-bogus partition table? If it says
: the first slice starts at cylinder 0 you still have a broken MBR. If
: it says it starts at cylinder 1 you are stuck with inconsistency, as
: cylinder 0 is in fact in use.
:
: Seems to me that DD's bogus MBR can't be properly and consistently fixed.

The first 8k of the disk is reserved, even in DD.  That is to say that
the ufs file system starts 8k from the start.

boot1 will fit into the first sector.  FreeBSD is careful to shoe horn
things around the MBR part of the first sector.  So you can put
something into this MBR.  In fact, you have to on some systems or bad
things will happen.

Right now the bogus MBR that we put on the DD disk might be able to be
fixed.  I'm not positive that it can be, but it might.  I don't have
the right kind of machine to do testing of my ideas.

Warner