Date:      Wed, 18 May 2016 11:27:59 +0200
From:      "Patrick M. Hausen" <hausen@punkt.de>
To:        freebsd-stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   State of unionfs?

Hi, all,

we were looking for a way to get overlay/copy-on-write mounts for
ZFS datasets to ease jail management.

Google turned up this old thread:
=
https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-fs/2010-September/009221.html

So, clearly in September 2010 mount_unionfs(8) was not supported
for ZFS datasets.

A quick check on a current RELENG-10.3 system showed that this has
changed .Union-mounting one dataset on top of another does indeed
work at a superficial glance.

Yet the manpage for mount_unionfs(8) still contains this disturbing
note:

BUGS
     THIS FILE SYSTEM TYPE IS NOT YET FULLY SUPPORTED (READ: IT DOESN'T =
WORK)
     AND USING IT MAY, IN FACT, DESTROY DATA ON YOUR SYSTEM.  USE AT =
YOUR OWN
     RISK.  BEWARE OF DOG.  SLIPPERY WHEN WET.  BATTERIES NOT INCLUDED.

Is this still the case? Are there alternatives to our approach.

What we would like to implement is e.g. a standard pre-populated /etc =
for each
jail with only modified files being written to a separate per-jail =
dataset.
Much like NanoBSD does when populating the /etc mfs at boot.

While we can create a clone from a central snapshot for each jail, the
problem with this way is that we cannot exchange the base snapshot =
later,
e.g. after a major system update for the jail in question. Which is =
precisely
the intention in the first place ;-)

Thanks for any hints
Patrick
--=20
punkt.de GmbH * Kaiserallee 13a * 76133 Karlsruhe
Tel. 0721 9109 0 * Fax 0721 9109 100
info@punkt.de       http://www.punkt.de
Gf: J=C3=BCrgen Egeling      AG Mannheim 108285