Date:      Fri, 14 Feb 2003 17:25:00 -0800
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>, Gordon Tetlow <gordont@gnf.org>
Cc:        Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: syslog.conf syntax change (multiple program/host specifications)

On Friday 14 February 2003 15:30, Terry Lambert wrote:

> Only newsyslog is stupid.
>
> No matter what options you gave it, the first thing it would do is
> the moral equivalent of -F.
>
> So instead of a 60M Samba log file "/var/log/samba", you ended up
> with a "/var/log/samba.1" that was 60M, and a "/var/log/samba"
> that was empty.

The real problem we're looking at is that ftruncate(2) doesn't take a
third argument describing which end you want to truncate at.  Such a
facility would end this argument quickly, syslog could simply truncate
the first (filesize - desired log size) bytes of the file and be done
with it.

Short of getting ufs2 to provide frag blocks at both ends of the file,
this is about as good as it gets.  I'll get my -current system up this
weekend and have a patch to review in a few days.

Wes Peters                                                   Softweyr LLC
wes@softweyr.com                                     http://softweyr.com/