Date:      Mon, 14 Aug 2000 17:52:12 +0300
From:      Alex Popa <razor@ldc.ro>
To:        Massimo De Giorgi <madg66@libero.it>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: accepting PPP incoming calls

On Fri, Aug 11, 2000 at 02:40:23PM +0200, Massimo De Giorgi wrote:
> >Can anyone help me a little with PPP.
> >
> >I used /usr/share/examples/ppp/ppp.conf.sample, section "server",
> >for inspiration.
> >
> >I want the users with an account on the server machine to be able
> >to log in over the modem ONLY by using ppp, or atleast to have
> >the machine run pppd automatically when they try to do so.
> >
> >Can you tell me what I need to set in /etc/ttys or /etc/gettytab
> >or some other files in order to achieve this?
>
> Alex,
> take a look at mgetty. It's a longer way but less steep.
>
> Bye.

I have taken a look at mgetty... this is what I saw:
	# make fetch
	===>  mgetty-1.1.21.07.24 is forbidden: Insecure tempfile handling: can overwrite any file on the system.
So please, again, can anyone help me getting pppd to answer incoming
phonecalls?

This is my setup up to the moment, taken from the handbook:

/etc/ppp/options:
modem
netmask 255.255.255.0
193.231.146.1:193.231.146.5
domain ldc.ro
passive
login
noipx
nodefaultroute

So what else do I need to allow the users with an account on the
machine to log in via PPP? (I have used the pppserv and pppservdown
scripts in the handbook)

I will post more of the config files, if necessary.

My problem is that pppd seems to quit randomly (after 10, 30, or even
260 minutes).

Thanks for the help,
	Alex