Date:      23 Feb 2003 00:37:23 +1030
From:      "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
To:        Aaron Wohl <freebsd@soith.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Stable List <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Maxtor Firewire Drives

On Sun, 2003-02-23 at 00:03, Aaron Wohl wrote:
> I note this is NOT a maxtor dv5000, that doesnt mount at all.  The error
> you see in the log sbp0:0:0 request timeout ... agent reset you only have
> one of.  Depending on the timeing you get a lot more of them - and long
> delays and trashed data.   It may depend on machine speed as well most of

Hmm, well I did notice it sometimes caused a delay, but I couldn't
really characterise it.

It seemed fairly repeatable by running iozone -a.

> the machines we tried this on where 2600 mhz or 2800 mhz with fast disks.
>  I notice that disk your trying is an 80gig.  We where trying larger
> disks.  I just put an 80 gig in an ADS enclosure and its getting a lot

Hmm odd. This is on a Athlon XP2000+ the drive is a Western Digital
WD800BB 7200rpm.

I have a Mapower enclosure (http://www.mapower.com.tw/).
I tried it on my laptop (Inspiron 8000 with a 700Mhz PIII) and it seemed
to work fine.

> less errors, but still some.  Perhaps there are more problems for 120+
> gigabyte disks.  I don't think firewire disks are ready for use in
> backups yet on freebsd... im having no problems using 120gb firewire
> disks with retrospect remote under win xp though (on the same hardware
> exactly we tried freebsd on).

Well, hopefully it will get more patches. If you got panics etc, it
would be useful to see back traces and the like. Firewire, and USB to a
lesser extent, is fairly new, so it hasn't been tested as heavily as
other things.

The only way that happens is if end users try it and report what
happens.

I (well work is) am going to purchase a Maxtor enclosure so I will see
how it goes.

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum
GPG Fingerprint - 9A8C 569F 685A D928 5140  AE4B 319B 41F4 5D17 FDD5