Date:      Tue, 3 Apr 2001 14:59:38 +0100
From:      Rasputin <rara.rasputin@virgin.net>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Strange localhost NS look attempts

* Kenneth W Cochran <kwc@world.std.com> [010403 14:40]:
> Hello -stable:
>
> Can someone tell me why I keep getting log-messages like this?
> It sometimes seems to "break" Netscape (waiting trying to
> resolve localhost).

Put an entry for localhost in /etc/hosts;
also if your domain is set to foo.com in /etc/resolv.conf,
add an entry for localhost.foo.com just to be safe.

> I'm using a "dummy" hostname of
> "myname.my.domain."  This has been happening for *months* with
> no (or not much?) ill-effect, but I would like to clean that
> up if possible & there must be something I'm not quite getting
> right for config...  What is happening here? It appears that
> I am rejecting a UDP DNS query from "myself."(?)

> Apr  3 03:23:15 myname /kernel: Connection attempt to UDP 10.0.0.1:1516 from 10.
> 0.0.1:53
> Apr  3 03:23:15 myname /kernel: Connection attempt to UDP 10.0.0.1:1517 from 10.
> 0.0.1:53

No, the traffic is coming back *from* your local DNS server to
a client program (using unprivileged port  1516...1530) -
probably Netscape.

It's not an error, it's just a bit verbose.
See other posting about LOG_IN_VAIN for a fix.
--
Rasputin
Jack of All Trades :: Master of Nuns