Date:      Thu, 27 Aug 1998 09:46:43 +0100 (BST)
From:      Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
To:        Roger Hardiman <roger@cs.strath.ac.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Recent Alpha typecast to brooktre848.c

On Thu, 27 Aug 1998, Roger Hardiman wrote:

> Hi,
> I work on the bt848 driver and was looking at the
> recent typecast change from "u_long" to "(uintptr_t) (void*)"
> in the driver.
> Logs state this was for the Alpha kernel.
>
> I think this may be incorrect.
> <        *(*dma_prog)++ = (uintptr_t) (void *) *target_buffer;
> ---
> >        *(*dma_prog)++ = (u_long)  *target_buffer;
>
> The block of memory *dma_prog is pointing to is the
> instruction list for the bt848 chip's internal RISC processor.
> This is a set of 32 bit instructions.
> uintptr_t is defined as an unsigned long in Alpha/types.h
> so should this be a typecast to u_int32 and not uintptr_t
>
> Can someone working on this drop me an email. There are lots of
> other (u_long) type casts in the driver when writing
> to the dma_prog buffer which may need fixing.

Probably the casts should be u_int32_t.  I haven't tried to get the bt848
driver working on the alpha yet (I do have a card but I need to get an X
server running first ...).  This commit was one of Bruce's sweeps over the
code tidying up casts from pointers to integers.

--
Doug Rabson				Mail:  dfr@nlsystems.com
					Fax:   +44 181 381 1039