Date:      Tue, 4 Apr 1995 20:14:07 -0600
From:      kelly@fsl.noaa.gov (Sean Kelly)
To:        crs@beta.lanl.gov
Cc:        jkh@freefall.cdrom.com, doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: New Status

    Charlie> I have a request for this department: How about a chapter
    Charlie> for those of us who know a bit of Unix but next to
    Charlie> nothing about PCs?

An excellent request, really.  I've hacked Suns and HPs all my life
and wanted an inexpensive BSD-style OS at home but couldn't begin to
afford typical workstation hardware.  The market that IBM and MS-DOS
created though was much more in my price range---and there was FreeBSD
to boot---literally!

But I'm still clueless when it comes to motherboards, BIOS, PCI vs VLB
and other trivia.

Until FreeBSD docs can fill this niche, you might want to take a look
at the PC Unix FAQ, available at rtfm.mit.edu or your favorite FAQ
repository.  It's a wee bit dated, but a good start.

--k