Date:      Tue, 4 Jul 2000 22:07:57 +1000
From:      "Andrew Reilly" <areilly@nsw.bigpond.net.au>
To:        brian@Awfulhak.org, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        John Polstra <jdp@freebsd.org>, cananian@alumni.princeton.edu
Subject:   PPP in pptpclient, specifically EAP authentication

Hi,

I've just discovered that ppp on my recent FreeBSD-stable
system (FreeBSD gurney.reilly.home 4.0-STABLE
FreeBSD 4.0-STABLE #0: Tue Jul 4 14:30:20 EST 2000
root@gurney.reilly.home:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GURNEY i386), when
used with the pptpclient port (aka pptp-linux-1.0.2), won't
authenticate to a Windows 2000 server running Microsoft's VPN.

A little poking through the ppp logs shows that it doesn't like
AUTHPROTO[4] 0xc227 (unknown).

A bit of web digging shows that that is the so-called Extensible
Authentication Protocol (EAP) defined in RFC 2284, and described
at:

http://www.networksorcery.com/enp/protocol/eap.htm

a) Does anyone have this implemented for our PPP, and is looking
for someone to test patches?

b) Does anyone know of any way to force said Windows 2000 system
to authenticate using something like CHAP or MS-CHAP, that our
PPP _does_ understand?

Thaks in advance,

--
Andrew