Date:      Fri, 1 Oct 2021 23:23:25 +0200
From:      Paul van der Zwan <paulz42@gmail.com>
To:        Doug McIntyre <merlyn@geeks.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD.org MX servers refusing mail from host via ipv6

> On 1 Oct 2021, at 22:41, Doug McIntyre <merlyn@geeks.org> wrote:
>=20
> On Fri, Oct 01, 2021 at 02:37:08PM +0200, Paul van der Zwan wrote:
>> It looks like the freebsd.org servers are refusing mails from =
unresolvable hosts:
>=20
>=20
> As much as I think it is worthless security, this has been the
> standard for quite some time on IPv4, and IPv6 copied it along. I'm
> not sure you'd find more than a handful of mail servers out there that
> would let a mailserver without a reverse PTR setup to talk to them
> either on IPv4 nor IPv6. So, if you don't get to control your IPv6
> reverse PTR, you probably shouldn't be sending email from that
> machine, because none of it is going to get through.
>=20
My own mailserver refuses to relay when no PTR is found but accepts mail =
destined for the local domain.
Which I considered an acceptable compromise.

> GMail certainly will never let you talk on IPv6 without a reverse PTR =
record.

Gmail has no problem whatsoever accepting mail from my mailserver.

> I'm sure FreeBSD MX is just following "best" practices.
>=20
This is the first time I ever ran into this so FreeBSD MX seems to be an =
exception.

>> For IPv6 this seems like a very strict requirement as it=E2=80=99s =
almost impossible to get reverse DNS working for autoconfigured IPv6 =
adresses ?
>=20
> Mail servers typically have static IP addresses? Servers that aren't
> mail servers but still send email should probably relay through a
> fixed submission server.
>=20
>> Is there an IPv4 only alias I can route mail to for freebsd.org  =
domain ?
>=20
> You could always configure your email server to only be sending IPv4
> email to certain domains. Ie for postfix, something like
> https://tanguy.ortolo.eu/blog/article109/google-ipv6-smtp-restrictions
>=20
Having an ipv4 only MX would be nice but I guess I=E2=80=99ll have to =
figure out a local solution.
Running sendmail here so the postfix solution will not work but I think =
I can add an IPV4 only mailer and use mailertable to route domains like =
freebsd.org <http://freebsd.org/>; to that mailer.

Thanks
	Paul