Date:      Tue, 14 Dec 1999 14:44:52 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        Mark Newton <newton@internode.com.au>
Cc:        Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au>, Donn Miller <dmmiller@cvzoom.net>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sysinstall: is it really at the end of its lifecycle?

>  > I know Jordan mentioned Qt before his over-enthusiastic hand-waving
>  > made him over-balance, but Lesstif and Qt (or anything else related to
>  > X11) have a number of serious problems.
>
> That's ok;  He also said it could be back-ended by TurboVision, with
> the decision of which GUI to use based on whether you had a $DISPLAY
> environment variable set.

Indeed, in fact using dlopen() directly from the front-end in order to
instantiate the back-end interface component gives you the option of
doing it at runtime, making the nucleus of sysinstall very small
indeed.  Of course, it would probably be linked statically with
turbovision in the single-floppy boot case, but that wouldn't stop you
from getting more clever with other installation media.

> Long-term, do we want the installer to be a program whose primary mission
> is to load FreeBSD, or would we prefer a generic framework which provides
> the situation where loading FreeBSD doesn't differ markedly from loading
> (and configuring!) any particular package or subsystem after the initial
> installation event?

The latter is, of course, not even a difficult choice to make.  We've
had the former already, been there and done that. :-)

- Jordan