Date:      Thu, 24 Jan 2013 10:12:29 +0100
From:      Borja Marcos <borjam@sarenet.es>
To:        Scott Long <scottl@samsco.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Filesystems <freebsd-fs@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: RFC: Suggesting ZFS "best practices" in FreeBSD

On Jan 22, 2013, at 3:33 PM, Scott Long wrote:

> Look up SCSI device wiring in /sys/conf/NOTES.  That's one solution to =
static naming, just with a slightly different angle than Solaris.  I do =
agree with your general thesis here, and either wiring should be made a =
much more visible and documented feature, or a new mechanism should be =
developed to provide naming stability.  Please let me know what you =
think of the wiring mechanic.

The mechanism used in Solaris has, in my opinion, two benefits: it is =
used by default, which is important. It means less troublesome =
installations, less time bombs lurking.

The second important benefit is that, especially with many disks,  it's =
easier (at least for me) to think in terms of controllers and disks, =
rather than "disk number 47". But well, it can be different for many =
people.

Of course, a big advantage for Solaris was Sun hardware at least in the =
golden years, where everything was well predictable. PCs are chaos, and =
Intel based servers have inherited the worst of the PC chaos.=20

But a good mechanism, and, I think, working by default, is badly needed. =
And I would advocate for a more "Solaris-like" approach.

Borja.