Date:      Fri, 16 Mar 2001 08:55:49 -0800
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
Cc:        Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ifconfig your wireless card

--BXVAT5kNtrzKuDFl

On Fri, Mar 16, 2001 at 01:00:40AM -0700, Warner Losh wrote:
> In message <20010315141705.A2184@Odin.AC.HMC.Edu> Brooks Davis writes:
> : Currently, wi and an cards are supported, but the interface is designed
> : to be general is with some minor work support for awi and ray cards
> : could be added.
>=20
> I have my awi card back in action.  What changes would be needed for
> it?

If you take a look at the current patch there is some totally untested
and partialy incomplete code to implement the ioctl part of the interface.
Basicaly what you do is implement the interface documented in ieee80211.4
(included in the patch).  You then implement an if_media interface for
speed selection and ad-hoc vs infrastructure.

The one gotcha with implementing the awi stuff is that my API doesn't
currently understand hopsets on FH cards.  You could probably overload
channel, but I'm not sure that going to be the right thing to do.  If I
actually knew what you'd like to set in general with regard to hopsets
I could add appropriate support to ifconfig and the API easily.

> Also, I have cnwctl in the wings right now that I'd like to not commit=20
> if ifconfig could be made to work :-).

cnwctl?  I don't see a cnw driver...  If this is for an as yet uncomitted
802.11 driver it should be pretty straight forward.

-- Brooks

--=20

--BXVAT5kNtrzKuDFl

--BXVAT5kNtrzKuDFl--