Date:      Mon, 5 Jul 2004 12:27:44 -0400
From:      Louis LeBlanc <freebsd@keyslapper.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SoundBlaster Live problems

On 07/05/04 06:49 PM, Alastair G. Hogge sat at the `puter and typed:
> On Monday 05 July 2004 08:35, Louis LeBlanc wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> > Anyone have any suggestions?
> I have a SBLive with 5.1 (5 channel sound with subwoofer[.1]) and have the
> following in loader.conf:
> snd_pcm_load="YES"              # Digital sound subsystem
> snd_emu10k1_load="YES"          # Creative Sound Blaster Live
>
> And the sound card works

kldstat shows the following:
                102 pci/snd_emu10k1
. . .
                114 snd_pcm

so snd_pcm is already loaded.

I suspect I've been "Delled".   The card was a preinstall at the Dell
factory, and after a lot of googling last night, I discovered that the
version of this card installed by Dell is modified.  This link:
http://www.opensound.com/readme/README.EMU10K1X.html
has a little detail about the oss driver for the Dell modified SB
Live! card.

I downloaded the driver and tried to install it as described, but I
keep getting the following:
# ./oss-install
Checking for any previously installed sound drivers...
There is another sound driver loaded. Unload it and try again.

But when I try to kldunload the drivers, I get:
# kldunload snd_emu10k1.ko
kldunload: can't find file snd_emu10k1.ko: No such file or directory

This is turning into a real pain.

Anyone know if the Dimension 8300 onboard sound is easier to get
working?  If I can't return it to Dell, I'll probably wind up putting
the card in another machine.

Thanks for the response.

Lou
--
Louis LeBlanc               leblanc@keyslapper.org
http://www.keyslapper.org                     ԿԬ

Kaufman's Law:
  A policy is a restrictive document to prevent a recurrence
  of a single incident, in which that incident is never mentioned.