Date:      Thu, 2 Jun 2005 14:31:24 +0200
From:      Mark Edwards <mark@antsclimbtree.com>
To:        Hajimu UMEMOTO <ume@freebsd.org>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org, Scot Hetzel <swhetzel@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Port: cyrus-sasl-2.1.21 -- Couldn't update db

On Jun 2, 2005, at 2:10 PM, Hajimu UMEMOTO wrote:

> mark> It occurs every time saslpasswd2 updates the db.  The db is
> mark> successfully updated, but there is a warning issued.  When
> saslauthd
> mark> updates the db, no warning.
>
> mark> I also get the following non-sensical warnings in
> /var/log/auth.log:
>
> mark> Jun  2 02:03:49 lilbuddy imaps[61325]: no user in db
> mark> Jun  2 02:18:30 lilbuddy exim: no user in db
>
> You can simply ignore the messages.  You can see following chunk in
> saslpasswd.c:
>
>       /* Either we were setting and succeeded or we were disabling and
> 	 failed.  In either case, we want to wipe old entries */
>
>       /* Delete the possibly old entries */
>       /* We don't care if these fail */
>       propctx = prop_new(0);
>       if (!propctx) ret = SASL_FAIL;
>       if (!ret) ret = prop_request(propctx, delete_request);
>       if (!ret) {
> 	  ret = prop_set(propctx, "cmusaslsecretCRAM-MD5", NULL, 0);
> 	  ret = prop_set(propctx, "cmusaslsecretDIGEST-MD5", NULL, 0);
> 	  ret = prop_set(propctx, "cmusaslsecretPLAIN", NULL, 0);
> 	  ret = sasl_auxprop_store(conn, propctx, userid);
>       }
>       if (propctx) prop_dispose(&propctx);
>
> The messages are out by this compatibility craft.

Aha, so its *supposed* to work that way.  So, there must be similar
code in whatever is used to authenticate sasl connections.  That's
really absurd, shouldn't this be considered a bug?  These messages
totally saturate my /var/log/auth.log

I did try to raise the issue on the cyrus-sasl and cyrus-imap lists,
with no response whatsoever.

It should at least be explained somewhere, in a FAQ on the cyrus site,
or in the FreeBSD port pkg-message.  Or something.  Its so confusing.

Thanks for the help!

--
Mark Edwards
mark@antsclimbtree.com