Date:      Mon, 25 Jan 1999 10:01:20 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
Cc:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: beginnings of a diskless boot sequence being committed

    I sure did, but I never committed them.  I would have to redo them
    at this point.  The patch was to have MFS maintain a persistant file,
    so you could fsck the file as if it were a disk and then the mfs mount it.

    Security is an issue, but it depends on how your password file is setup.

    You don't have to export the server's own root - the key thing is that
    you want to export a shared root to all the workstations, so it would not
    be too hard to implement kerberos as an authentication mechanism for the
    workstations.  At home, I just export my server's root.  Point #2 is,
    of course, that you export a read-only root.

					    -Matt
					    Matthew Dillon
					    <dillon@backplane.com>
:
:Luigi Rizzo wrote:
:[..]
:> I haven't seen how you suggest to build&populate the MFS filesystems --
:> right now i use a rather crude method of putting all the stuff in a tgz
:> archive on the server and expanding it at runtime on the client. I
:> haven't solved the problem with passwords (i.e. i just copy the files
:> from the server. -- this is clearly a security hole, perhaps YP-based
:> solutions would be much better).
:
:Didn't Matt have patches for initializing a MFS from a mmap'ed file rather
:than from swap at some point?
:
:Cheers,
:-Peter