Date:      Mon, 12 Mar 2001 12:31:27 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        mobile@freebsd.org
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Disk I/O problem in 4.3-BETA

I'm not too sure if this belongs in mobile or stable. I reported the
problem last week, but have seen no comments. Either it's something
unique to my system (or my hardware) or people have not been doing
large disk copy operations.

My disk I/O performance has tanked after a cvsup on March 1.
Subsequent updates have not made a difference.

Specifics: System ran normally until the March 1 cvsup. The prior
cvsup was February 24.

Prior to March 1 I could dd a 4 GB slice in 580 seconds (or a bit
under 10 minutes).  After March 1 the same exact command took just
under 40 minutes to complete. The same was seen copying a 2 GB
slice. It increased from 5 minutes to 20 minutes. No kernel
configuration changes were made.

The system is an IBM ThinkPad 600E with 192 MB RAM and 12 GB and 6 GB
disks. Both disks are UDMA33. All operations were performed after a
stand-alone boot with only root mounted and that mounted RO. FreeBSD
is on the 2 GB slice with W98 on the 4 GB one.

The commands used:
dd bs=32k if=/dev/ad0s1 of=/dev/ad2s1
dd bs=32k if=/dev/ad0s2 of=/dev/ad2s2

The
FWIW, I subjectively feel that the time to buildworld has also
increased, but I really don't recall how long it was taking in the
past, so I really don't have a basis for comparison.

Is anybody else aware of anything that might be causing this? IS
anyone else seeing it at all?

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)