Date:      Tue, 20 May 1997 12:15:43 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Kevin Eliuk <cagey@kevin.sunshine.net>
To:        Greg Evans <gevans@bing.televar.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Help please...

On Tue, 20 May 1997, Greg Evans wrote:

>Please send all replies to gevans@televar.com as I am not a subscriber to
>this list, just trying to help a friend out.
>
>Thanks.
>

>I am atempting to help a user of the ISP that I work for get his FreeBSD
>up and running.  He is at the point where he uses the boot floppy and then
>tries to use PPP to get the rest of the files for install (or install over
>the 'net?) However that works, I am doing all of this by telephone, so I
>am not sure of the specifics of freebsd.
>
>Anyway, we set everything up so that he can connect to us (The ISP) and
>then when freebsd tries to go to ftp.freebsd.org, it gives the message
>that it 'cannot resolve domain name for ftp.freebsd.org'.

It sounds like he has something setup in the menu incorrectly.

"IF" you are running dynamic ppp I found to get the most success from
entering `0.0.0.0' in the set up of gateway and ip address.

When he goes to his ppp screen and does the dial-in through term,
enters his login name and passwd, it will go into packet mode. When
`ppp ON' changes to `PPP ON' he will know he is connected correctly.

>We have the domain name server set up correctly as well as all the
>information to get logged on to us.  As I said I cannot see the screen as
>I am doing this over the phone, but would appreciate any thoughs or
>suggestions that anyone could give me.

   			    |  \    kevin_eliuk@sunshine.net     /  |
   My manhood shouldn't be  |    \	     Kevin G. Eliuk    /    |
   measured by  the length  |    /^\_________________________/^\    |
   of my run on sentences.  |  /    		                 \  |