Date:      Tue, 11 Nov 1997 08:24:27 -0600 (CST)
From:      Guy Helmer <ghelmer@cs.iastate.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Java 1.1 illegal instruction

I've tried using the kwhite port of java 1.1 to FreeBSD on my 2.2-stable
system, and whenever I run java or javac, I receive an "illegal
instruction".  Yes, I have removed the jdk1.1/lib/font.properties file
(actually, I just renamed it to font.properties.ORIG -- could that really
be the problem?).  Also, libc.so.2.2 is in /usr/lib/compat (not /usr/lib)
-- could that be a problem?

I remember there was a big thread on this problem a short while ago, but I
didn't find it in the searchable archives.  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Guy Helmer

Guy Helmer, Computer Science Graduate Student - ghelmer@cs.iastate.edu
Iowa State University               http://www.cs.iastate.edu/~ghelmer
Research Assistant, Scalable Computing Laboratory, Ames Laboratory