Date:      Fri, 10 Mar 1995 17:21:45 -0800
From:      "Frank O'Donnell" <frank@jplpio.jpl.nasa.gov>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Swap errors and majordomo

We are running FreeBSD 2.0 on a 386/25 with 8 MB RAM and
a 400-MB hard disk; the filesystem is set up with a 25-MB
root partition, 25-MB swap and 350-MB /usr.

We're getting a lot of swap-related errors while running
majordomo.  Frequently these appear on the console as
"Swap_pager: out of space"; after sevral of these in rapid
succession, a "Process 12345 killed by vm_fault:  out of
swap."

I'd hoped that 25 MB would be ample for swap (being a good
bit more than 2 x amount of RAM).  Do we need to set an
environmental variable to save tmp files on /usr or something?
Or is there another way out of this?

Thanks for any help.  Oh also, with the recent creation of
the freebsd newsgroups, is there a consensus on the best place
to post questions like this?

Frank
frank@jplpio.jpl.nasa.gov