Date:      Wed, 23 May 2001 09:54:42 -0700
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        "Andresen,Jason R." <jandrese@mitre.org>
Cc:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>, Nadav Eiron <nadav@cs.Technion.AC.IL>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: technical comparison

--Qxx1br4bt0+wmkIi

On Wed, May 23, 2001 at 08:17:12AM -0400, Andresen,Jason R. wrote:

> > Did you enable write caching?  You didn't mention, and it's off by
> > default in 4.3, but I think enabled by default on Linux.
>=20
> I tried to leave the FreeBSD and Linux boxes as unchanged as possible for
> my tests (they are lab machines that have other uses, although I made sure
> they were idle during the test periods).
>=20
> I left write caching enabled in the Linux boxes, and left it disabled on
> the FreeBSD boxes.  Personally, I'm hesitant to enable write caching
> on FreeBSD because we tend to use it on machines where we really really
> don't want to lose data.  Write caching is ok on the Linux machines
> because we use them as pure testbeds that we can reconstruct easily if
> their disks go south.

That's all well and good, but I thought the aim here was to compare
Linux and FreeBSD performance on as level playing field as possible?
You're not measuring FS performance, you're measuring FS performance
plus cache performance, so your numbers so far tell you nothing
concrete.

Kris

--Qxx1br4bt0+wmkIi

--Qxx1br4bt0+wmkIi--