Date:      Sun, 17 Jan 2016 15:41:14 +0000
From:      Dave B <g8kbvdave@googlemail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: freebsd-questions Digest, Vol 606, Issue 7

On 17/01/16 12:00, freebsd-questions-request@freebsd.org wrote:
> On Sat, January 16, 2016 1:57 am, Anders Jensen-Waud wrote:

>> >If you don't want  to replace Windows (that is, do dual boot), an option
>> >is
>> >to first repartition the disk using Gparted or similar from  a usb based
>> >Linux distribution such as Knoppix. Install Knoppix onto a USB drive, boot
>> >from it and start Gparted to resize your Windows partition and make space
>> >for the FreeBSD partition. Remember to back up your data before doing
>> >this.
>> >
>> >(Seehttp://gparted.org/faq.php#faq-7)
> Alternatively, you can make free space using Windows Disk management tool:
>   shrink Windows main partition. The rest: as Andreas describes.
>
> Valeri
>

>> >Once done, start the FreeBSD install as usual, installing to the free
>> >space
>> >on your drive. You will need to install the FreeBSD boot loader to the MBR
>> >in order to do multi-boot.
>> >
>> >Cheers
>> >
>> >Anders

Hi.

Windows will not let you shrink the partition it's booted and running
from!   But using a live boot 'nix CD or USB stick and Gparted does the
trick nicely.

TAKE CARE however, NOT to alter the location of the Windows partition,
or it is likely to become un-bootable.  Also, do not remove/alter any
OEM system backup partition that may already exist, for the same reason.

(Don't ask how I found THAT out!)

You should also check the machine BIOS settings, and turn off any UEFI
boot security etc.   And backup any important data from the Windows
system first, "Just in case!"...

Then, it should be relatively trivial to install whatever flavor of 'nix
you want as a dual boot option.

You may be able to re-enable any BIOS UEFI settings, once you've got it
all stable again.

This machine I'm using now, has Mint 17 (default) and Windows 7 Home
Premium 64 bit (as an option) and works very well, in either mode. No
reason AFIK you can't do that with FreeBSD as your 'nix choice.

Regards.

Dave B.