Date:      Thu, 24 Aug 1995 17:29:39 +0100
From:      David Clear <D.A.Clear@ukc.ac.uk>
To:        freebsd@freebsd.org
Subject:   Can FreeBSD read DAT tapes written from Solaris?

Hi,

I've written a DAT tape on a Solaris 2.3 machine using the
device /dev/rmt/0lbn which 'mt status' calls a:
"Archive Python 4mm Helical Scan tape drive".

According to the manual page, the 'l' in '0lbn' means 'Standard format'
ie no compression - I figured this was the safest bet.

My question:  Will a FreeBSD machine with a DAT drive be able to read
this tape?  Does it have to be a special DAT drive?  I've just tried it
in a BSDI machine we have here and it failed with 'Short read'.

It's critical I get this right as I'm leaving here in a week and
I have a couple of 100Mb of personal files I've accumulated over 8
years to save until I get enough money together to get a PC.

Respond via email please.

Cheers,
Dave.