Date:      Mon, 4 May 2009 20:20:23 +0930
From:      "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        Bruce Cran <bruce@cran.org.uk>, Dominic Fandrey <kamikaze@bsdforen.de>
Subject:   Re: bluetooth troubleshooting

--nextPart1988435.eiRNpCTbIG

On Sat, 2 May 2009, Dominic Fandrey wrote:
> # hccontrol -n ubt0hci inquiry
> Inquiry complete. Status: No error [00]
>
> is pretty lame compared to what should appear according to the
> handbook:
>
> % hccontrol -n ubt0hci inquiry
> Inquiry result, num_responses=3D1
> Inquiry result #0
>        BD_ADDR: 00:80:37:29:19:a4
>        Page Scan Rep. Mode: 0x1
>        Page Scan Period Mode: 00
>        Page Scan Mode: 00
>        Class: 52:02:04
>        Clock offset: 0x78ef
> Inquiry complete. Status: No error [00]

Depends what's in range.

Your command indicates to me that there are no _discoverable_ BT modules=20
in range. (Note the discoverable part :)

BTW the '-n ubt0hci' is optional if you only have one BT controller.

If it isn't discoverable you can do something like..
sdpcontrol -a pda browse

(I entered pda into /etc/bluetooth/hosts).

If it doesn't show anything (like my phone) you need to bruteforce=20
search for services (I don't understand the rationale of that but=20
that's the way it is), eg..
sh -c 'for i in \
	CIP CTP DUN FAX FTRN GN HID HSET LAN NAP OPUSH SP; do \
	sdpcontrol -a pda  search $i; done'

There's a command in Bluez which does this for you but the above would=20
tell you a reasonable amount.

=2D-=20
are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum