Date:      Tue, 3 Jul 2001 09:20:25 +0100
From:      Rasputin <rara.rasputin@virgin.net>
To:        Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: filtering syslog by remote host?

* Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca> [010702 17:26]:
> In message <20010702155700.A18774@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>, Rasputin
> writes:
> >
> > Hi there - wondered if BSD's native syslog could
> > filter events based on the orginating host?
> >
> > man syslog.conf seems to indicate it can, but I can't get it working.
> >
> > (Most online resources refer to syslog-ng, but I'm hoping to do it with the b
> > ase
> > system if possible)
> >
> > Does anyone have a working config they could post?
>
> Try sending syslog output to a pipe or a file and have swatch filter
> the output for you.  We do this at work, filtering out messages to be
> sent to our pager/cell phones.

Not a bad workaround, we were toying with the idea of using a second
syslog instance running on a specific port. Although this complicates
things in that:

a) I'm unsure you can specify a port on the logging client end, so a port
forwarder might be needed.
b) newsyslog.conf is going to need hacked ot be sure it restarts both
processes files rotate.

We'll try specifying the exact hostname, then Andy's patch,
and see what happens.

Cheers.

--
"These are the propulsion systems used by NASA for the moonshots,"
		said Tom apologetically.