Date:      Fri, 15 Jan 1999 02:24:26 +0900
From:      Kazutaka YOKOTA <yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp>
To:        jbryant@unix.tfs.net
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp
Subject:   Re: Forward all spam to UCE@FTC.GOV

>> This sort of forwarding facility should be an option; do not make it
>> default!  FreeBSD is used not only in US, but also all over the world,
>> you know.  I don't think FTC would in any way like to deal with spams
>> outside of US.
>>
>> Kazu
[...]
>i understand your point of view, even though I disagree with it to an
>extent.

Well, you seem to believe FreeBSD systems exist only in US....

                               ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>and fda are secondary recipients in all cases, the ftc handles trade
>issues, and has the authority to forward to other agencies for further
>actions.

I can understand that you want the FTC to deal with spams arriving in
US.  But, if you enable forwarding to the FTC in sendmail.cf, the FTC
will also receive spams which originate outside US and end outside
US.

I ran a FreeBSD box in Japan, you know. And I receive spams originate
in Japan, written in Japanese and delivered in Japan.  And you want my
sendmail to forward these spams to the FTC?  (Not that I love these
spams and would like to keep :-)

>all internationally originated or relayed spam is just as important so
>as to intelligently allow the state department here to draft new, and
>more effective telecommunications treaties that could potentially
>punish countries who don't take spam seriously.

I do understand that the FTC should be made aware of spams arriving in
US from outside.  But, I don't think forwarding all spams circulating
only outside US and never reaching US is necessary too.  Do you want
the FTC to make a collection of spam mails of entire world?

>having an autoforwarder forward all spam to the ftc address, including
>false positives, can only help our government realize the extent of
>the problem, and the state of the technologies that currently attempt
>to fight it.

Ok, your goverment will realize the scale of the problem.  What about
other goverments in the world?  Are we going to forward spams to them
too?

Kazu