Date:      Fri, 2 Oct 1998 23:25:35 -0500
From:      Frank Pawlak <fpawlak@execpc.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Device Drivers for Linux and Intel's annoucement

On Fri, Oct 02, 1998 at 08:51:35PM -0700, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
> > I have to agree with Brett 100% on this one, while adding that it is
> > damned painful to watch.
>
> So *DO SOMETHING*.  Geeze, do I have to spell it out in letters of 10
> foot neon?

No neon is necessary.  I hear you aok.

>This is not the cabalistic OS you seem to think it is,
> with people like me controlling every aspect of its progress.  To even
> imagine this gives me way too much credit and conveniently puts aside
> the fact that volunteer labor, both ours and several previous
> generation's worth of grad students, is what got us here today (not
> me).

Jordan, you are taking what I said way to personal, and are reacting as if it
were a personal attach.  I can understand you having strong feelings
about the project.  You once tried to convince me that if the project
folded it would be no bfd, that you'd just move on to studying fish.  I
didn't buy it then and won't buy it now.  But that's not the issue.

It is nonetheless interesting that you are taking it personally.  I am
not attacking you!!!  While admitting I may be getting close to home.
Wonder if you're not as frustrated by this as I am???

>Volunteer labor is also, not so coincidently, what got Linux to
> where it is today in all the areas that you and Brett are crying over.
> It's not Red Hat's doing - they're just surfing the top of the wave
> and trying to make it look as if they're actually steering it.  Poppycock.

You are correct about the labor, but RH and friends are putting mega-bucks
into promotion that is not exactly hurting the cause.  They are also
doing a lot of value add to the distro that they put out.

> You have a choice.  As I have said so many times now that it must be
> becoming a litany, if you want to do FreeBSD a whole bunch of good for
> very little comparative cost, go write a book.  Or a magazine article.
> Or even a 10 page self-help guide (which frequently grow into books
> anyway).  You don't need anyone's help or buy-in or official blessing
> to do any of that, you just need to get up off your asses, stop
> wasting time whining to people who are only going to see it as whining
> anyway, and write the bloody things.  If you're not willing to do that
> much then it follows that you probably didn't actually care as
> passionately about the matter as you thought you did anyway and should
> probably stop wasting people's time with assertions that you do.
>
> - Jordan

Now we both know about the doing part.  We have been down that road
before, haven't we?  I think that your memory is longer than that. ;-)

    --Frank

"At no time is the freedom of speech more precious then when a man hits
his thumb with a hammer."
   --Marshall Lumsden