Date:      Tue, 05 Aug 2014 19:46:05 -0600
From:      markham breitbach <markhamb@corp.ssimicro.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Best VPS setup

Personally, I prefer the security of jails to apache/mysql shared hosting.

I setup a system based on our in-house implementation of jails that
allows us to create virtual hosts based on a single "instance" of
apache/php/mysql.

In essence the instance is mounted into each jail by the host as a
read-only file system.  All the configs/logs/etc are setup as symlinks
back to a local config directory that is mounted read/write for each
jail, and the home directory is also RW.  This has the advantage that
even if apache/php is exploited it is impossible for the attacker to
mess with the base system, and this also gives me the advantage that I
can update or patch all 20 (in my case is more like 80) jails at the
same time.

-Markham