Date:      Thu, 8 Nov 2001 13:46:53 -0500
From:      "Jason Mawdsley" <jason@macadamian.com>
To:        "Alfred Perlstein" <bright@mu.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: mmap/madvise

> > Hi hackers!
> >
> > I am looking for a way to reserve memory, without actually allocating
the
> > swap space.
> >
> > The FreeBSD man page for mmap doesn't mention MAP_NORESERVE, but it is
in
> > sys/mman.h.
> >
> > Is that flag implemented, and external?
> >
> > Or is their a better way to do this?
>
> Just proceed normally, freebsd does overcommit such that you really
> don't need to do anything special to get the results you desire.

I am not sure I understand what you mean by that.

I want to be able to reserve a large track of memory, and then commit a page
when
I need it.  Pretty much what VirtualAlloc is doing on Windows.

Did you mean doesn't overcommit?

TIA

Jason Mawdsley ~ jason@macadamian.com
m_ a c a d a m i a n    t e c h n o l o g i e s

"Software developers for the world's leading technology companies."
http://www.macadamian.com