Date:      Wed, 8 Oct 1997 02:25:42 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@mat.net>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, "Matthew D. Fuller" <fullermd@futuresouth.com>
Subject:   Re: group assignments from make world.

On Tue, 7 Oct 1997, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> I don't mean to sound like Cassandra here, but I really do think that
> we need to figure out some other way of dealing with this extra tech
> support issue or, at the current rate of increase, all development
> time will soon be subsumed entirely by the task of simply reading
> email, FreeBSD's principle developers getting about as much actual,
> useful work done as the U.S. congress. :-(
>
> Maybe it's time to institute something a little bit closer to the
> XFree86 Project's BETA program?  Not all the way in that direction,
> where early access is really restricted quite tightly, but something
> which might require one to jump through just a few more hoops first
> (at a minimum, you'd need to subscribe to the appropriate list and, if
> you left it, so would your "license to cvsup" :-).  Too draconian?
> Not draconian enough? :-)

I'm thinking that were giving misleading signals to folks, Jordan.  With
one hand we're making it easier than ever to run current (WC publishes
snaps) and the documentation really isn't scary enough, in warning about
the problems involved with being a current user.

The XFree86 folks, who have that beta program, are NOT so anxious as we
are to have folks running their betas, and their docs say so.  If you want
to publish some more reminders, or even have another list that has the
bootstrap gotchas in it, that's fine, but you have to limit just how much
you jump on people who have problems, unless you're willing to restrict
access to current a little more tightly.  I'm not saying to do it as tight
as XFree86, but maybe be a little less open about running current.

It just seems that FreeBSD's attitude about current users could be
construed as being a little schizophrenic (closer -- closer -- closer --
GET AWAY! GET AWAY! GET AWAY!)