Date:      Wed, 08 Jan 1997 10:34:07 -0700
From:      Sean Kelly <kelly@fsl.noaa.gov>
To:        Greg Rowe <greg@uswest.net>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 2.2 BETA Upgrade Problem

Greg Rowe wrote:
>  Has anyone seen a problem with 2.2 BETA upgrade procedure using NFS ? If I do
> an upgrade using NFS, as soon as it gets to the point of installing the
> distributions, it immediately comes back with a "Couldn't extract the following
> distributions" (all distributions are listed) error.

Yes, I've seen the exact same thing last night.  (Sorry, haven't made
the pr yet.)

This was from a local FreeBSD 2.1.5 NFS server.  The machine I was
upgrading could mount the 2.2-BETA directories successfully, but the
floppy boot couldn't.

> If I create another directory(while still in the install shell)
> and try doing the mount again, the mount command completes with no error but
> again ls'ing produces the "Stale NFS file handle" error.

Yep, I got the same thing.  Also, if you type "mount" and list what's
mounted, the two NFS mounts show up with garbage characters:

!*@ on /dist
sj7($!* on /mnt

I had to resort to moving the 2.2-BETA sources into the anonymous ftp
user's directory and using the FTP install option.  Luckily, that
worked.  (Until it came time to restore my /etc directory.  More garbage
characters appeared but recovering the files by hand worked.)

--
Sean Kelly
NOAA Forecast Systems Laboratory    kelly@fsl.noaa.gov