Date:      Sat, 14 Apr 2007 17:06:14 +0930
From:      "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
To:        patrick <patrick@cyberwizards.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 6.2 loader hangs on Supermicro P8SCT

--nextPart2928398.36GYq0hY3b

On Friday 13 April 2007 16:17, patrick wrote:
> > Unfortunately that makes it impossible to interrupt the loader to go in=
> > single user mode (or whatever).
>
> that is depending on the situation you are in. there are more ways to get
> in 'other boot modes' then using the bootloader on the disk.

Hmm.. How can you get to (say) single user mode, or load an old kernel?
They're the really critical things I use the loader for (usually in despera=
te=20
circumstances :)

> > I wonder if it is a race of some sort with the BIOS doing a periodic ta=
sk
> > and hence reducing the delay makes it work most of the time.
>
> Also note I have also exactly the same system (second one) which has no
> problems at all.

Yeah it seems to affect our systems unevenly too, although they are putativ=
ely=20
identical..

> I never had the time to pull them apart to find out what the diff is which
> causing this issue.

phase of the moon during construction or the diodes?! :)

=2D-=20
are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum