Date:      Sun, 23 Jun 2002 19:45:19 +0200
From:      Bernhard Schmidt <berni@birkenwald.de>
To:        johann@broadpark.no
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IPv6 on ADSL -- conflicts with onlamp.com article (IPv6, Meet FreeBSD)

On Sun, Jun 23, 2002 at 12:46:32PM +0200, johann@broadpark.no wrote:

Hi Johann,

> firewall_enable="YES"
> firewall_type="OPEN"
> ipv6_firewall_enable="YES"
> ipv6_firewall_type="OPEN"
>
> Yet, I get:
> IPv6 packet filtering initialized, logging limited to 100 packets/entry
> IP packet filtering initialized, divert enabled, rule-based forwarding
> disabled, default to deny, logging limited to 100 packets/entry by default

This note comes from the kernel booting message (you can have a look at
dmesg). At this stage no root partition is mounted and therefor no
rc.conf is read. It's just a note that your kernel has been configured
with the firewall code enabled and the default would be deny. Then /
is mounted and during startup a catch-all accept rule should be added to
your firewall rules. Should be, it looks like it isn't.

> Note the `default to deny' -- where does that come from. After I added all
> these settings not even my NFS will work.

What says "ipfw list" and "ip6fw list"?

> In O'Reilly's IPv6 article
> (http://www.onlamp.com/lpt/a//bsd/2002/02/22/ipv6.html) in the `Configuring
> Your Gateway Machine' section it describes the rtadvd configuration. On my
> g/w I have two interfaces; lnc0 (10.0.0.2, and this address *has* to be
> 10.0.0.2 for it to properly connect to my Cisco ADSL modem) and ep0
> (192.168.187.2, connected to my w/s). Excactly what interfaces am I going
> to add to /etc/rtadvd.conf?

ep0. You should read rtadvd(8) to see what rtadvd is doing. It provides
autoconfiguration to your _workstations_ (in a very wide manner like a
dhcp server) and has to be attached to your internal interface.

> [3]
> I have registered with Freenet6, and as far as I understand, tspc connects
> to it. Both ping6 and traceroute6 doesn't work, but I believe this is
> because of the rtadvd. Now, *what* is my IPv6 address? Freenet6 hasn't told
> me. dmesg hasn't told me. Who will?

As far as I know as soon as you start tspc it should print your prefix
out into the configuration file or on standard output. But I don't
really know it, it has been a long while when I played with freenet6.
But freenet6 is located in Canada and I think it might be better for you
to look for a closer tunnel broker. I'd suggest http://www.ipng.nl for
example, perhaps there is even some in Norway.

> [4]
> Once I find out what my address is, how will I set up my subnet so it may
> work as my IPv4 one does? Will it be an internal subnet or an external
> subnet?

?? Internal subnet? External subnet? Don't know what you are talking
about. Normally it should be enough to assign a /64 to your interface,
enable ipv6 forwarding with sysctl and startup rtadvd on this interface.
On your clients you should set "net.inet6.ip6.accept_rtadv" to 1 with
sysctl and reboot. If everything works, these clients should have an
automagically configured address on their lan interface and a default
route pointing to your router.

--
   bye bye
     Bernhard