Date:      Sat, 24 Dec 1994 17:20:28 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.sax.de
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /etc/rc.shutdown (First shot)

> Erm (not that i'd vote against Ollivier's changes), but innd is being
> shut down cleanly for me since init sends a SIGTERM when going down.
> At least, it doesn't complain at startup time about an unclean
> shutdown.

That gives INN about, um, 10 seconds to clean up and go away?  That is not
good (I don't know about anybody else, but all the news servers I work with
have newsfeeds countable in terms of dozens, and 10 seconds on a busy box is
nothing, particularly if you've just signalled TERM to fifty nntplink
processes that are now all trying to write out batch files).

However, I am not arguing _for_ Ollivier's changes, by any stretch of the
imagination.  If you type "shutdown" without bothering to take down INN and
make sure all's well, you darn well get what you deserve.  I'm not a fan of
the SVR4-style 10-trillion-shell-script crud (Solaris is horrible), and I'd
just as soon prefer to keep it simple.  ;-)  JMHO.

... Joe